Ms. Tenea Lowery

photo of Tenea LoweryAssistant Director
Sorority and Fraternity Life
865-974-5456
tlowery3@utk.edu

Hometown? Fort Worth, TX

What brought you to UT? Location and opportunity to work with National Pan-Hellenic Council and Multicultural Greek Council Organizations

What is your favorite book or current reading? Currently, I am reading Instinct by T.D. Jakes.

What is the best advice you have ever received? Never become complacent in what you do.

Who has had the biggest influence on your life and why has that person played such an influential role? There has not been one specific person who has influenced my life. I have been blessed to be empowered and influenced by positive role models in my family, community, church, school and professional career. It is because of a strong mother who was raised in South Hampton County, VA in a family of eight by a single mother (due to medical death of husband); economics and environment, picking cotton in 1960’s was still a labor circumstances but, having faith and a strong family support system she became the first in her family to receive a college degree. Having a strong father who has demonstrated what it means to be a man of faith, family, honor and respect has demonstrated to me what manhood looks like in action. Instilling in me what it means to be a strong self-sufficient woman who embraces her cultural identity with pride and not taking for granted what one has been given or has obtained. Having a family that lives on the principle that my grandmother use to say, “Keep on Living”. Meaning times may get rough but, keep God first and keep on pushing through.

Being blessed to have positive men and women in my home church, community, school and professional career I have seen women overcome cancer, raise children on their own without excuses, men who lead their families, doctors, lawyers, teachers and grass root community leaders, deans of universities, directors of student affair departments and so much more. If it had not been for them I could not and would not be able to do what I do. It is truly because of them pouring into and supporting me is why I chose student affairs; giving back what was given to me.

What is one thing you would like people to know about you? I am passionate and dedicated to what I do. I believe in setting standards and expectations for our students because they are our future. If we don’t respect, support and empower them to be great men and women then the hopes of having effective change in society will fail. Therefore, I choose to give 120% because someone set the standard for me and charged me to do it for those who come after me.

What are top three items on your bucket list? To travel to Africa and Ireland, zip line and speak to a large group of women about identity and empowerment.

What is favorite location on campus? Pedestrian Walk Way