Dr. Steven N. Waller, Sr.

Associate Professor
Sport ManagementPhoto of Dr. Waller
Dept. of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies
Tel: 865-974- 1279
swaller2@utk.edu

Hometown: Flint/Detroit, MI

What brought you to UT? I wanted to come back into academia after being an executive level manager in government for 20 years.

What is your favorite book or current reading?  Favorite: The Michael Eric Dyson Reader by Michael Eric Dyson; currently reading Can I Get a Witness?: Reading Revelation through African American Culture by Brian K. Blount.

What is the best advice you have ever received? The simple things matter most! (Sage advice from my late mother).

Who has had the biggest influence on your life and why has that person played such an influential role? My maternal grandfather because he was a “black man’s man.” He was physically, mentally, and spiritually strong. He loved God, his family and close friends with every ounce of his being.

What is one thing you would like people to know about you?  One month before the legendary tennis great Arthur Ashe died, I spent a full day with him as a member of a Carnegie Foundation task force. I was in his work group. It was worth every second. I had never seen courage in the face of imminent death like that before.

What are the top three items on your bucket list?
1) Lease a house on the beach in Carmel, CA for one week to watch the sunset daily on the Pacific Ocean
2) go to Jerusalem
3) go “smooth jazz” festival hopping on the east coast for an entire summer

What is your favorite location on campus? Clarence Brown Theater