Dr. Robert Nobles II

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research,Dr. Robert Nobles II
Responsible Conduct of Research & Research Integrity Officer
865-974-3053
nobles@utk.edu

Occupation: Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research (My faculty appointment is within the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences; Department of Public Health where I teach epidemiology and policy & management)

Hometown:  San Diego, CA (born) and Denver, CO (attended high school) 

What brought you to UT? The opportunity to serve the research community in our quest to become a top 25 university. 

What is your favorite book or current reading? Tuskegee Truths: Rethinking the Tuskegee Syphilis Study (Edited by Susan M. Reverby); and The Hot Zone (by Richard Preston).

What is the best advice you have ever received? Be goal and service oriented, but pay particular attention to those people that matter most (e.g. Set goals to spend time, give love, and be loved by your family). 

Who has had the biggest influence on your life and why has that person played such an influential role? My father. His teachings and wisdom allowed for me to venture into life without fear or boundaries. I attribute my love for research and exploring difficult questions to some of his early teachings.

What is one thing you would like people to know about you? I take pride in helping others become successful in their endeavors. 

What are the top three items on your bucket list? 1) To see my three boys become successful young men with positive attitudes; 2) To visit each of the top landmarks in the U.S. (e.g. Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Niagara Falls, etc.); 3) To become a university president (but before that become the Vice President (or Vice Chanellor) for Research. 

What is your favorite location on campus? Thompson Boling Arena (I enjoy watching the women and men play basketball).