Black Faculty and Staff Association

Ms. Thura Mack

Professor/LibrarianThura Mack
Coordinating for Community Services
and Diversity Programs

Hometown – Valdosta, Georgia

What brought you to UT? I came to UT in search of an undergraduate degree in American Literature, which was my planned first step in becoming a librarian.

What is your favorite book or current reading? Waiting to Exhale by Terry Mcmillan is my favorite book, because it made me laugh and cry. I felt a real connection with the characters.

What is the best advice you have ever received? Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Who has had the biggest influence on your life and why has that person played such an influential role? My mother and my daughter are the biggest influences on my life. These two women have always supported me unconditionally.

What is one thing you would like people to know about you? I am a country girl at heart with a very determined, survival demeanor.

What are the top three items on your bucket list? 

1. To visit my daughter in Los Angeles

2. To travel to a Caribbean country

3. To learn how to play golf

What is your favorite location on campus? My current office space on the second floor at Hodges Library is my favorite location on campus.

Contribute to big ideas. Give to BFSA.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000